Chipotle Style Rice with baked Sweet Potatoes

I think I was falling asleep one night and I envisioned what I wanted a future dinner to look like.

I feel that this was a pretty accurate representation of that vision.

I wanted grilled pineapple. Mango salsa. Chipotle style rice. A veggie burger and some baked sweet potatoes.

Now, I didn't find the right veggie burgers. So, everything was vegan except for that. At best this entire meal was vegetarian. The patties had milk and egg in them I think. I bought them at Aldi - they were the ones with over 10 veggies in them. And to be honest, they tasted like toasted sesame oil bread crumbs with some whole veggies. I rather enjoyed the flavor and would love to figure out how to mimic that flavor with some homemade patties. But that's another blog post.

Also that pineapple was on point. 🍍👌



For the rice:

  • 2 cups brown rice
  • 5 cups water
  • 1 tsp veg. bouillon
  • 1 bay leaf
  • Frozen corn, thawed/warmed through
  • 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1 bunch of cilantro, chopped
  • 1 lime, zested and juiced
  • chili powder, salt & pepper to taste
  • 1 bunch of green onions, chopped
While I was cooking the rice I put the frozen corn into a mesh strainer (mine has a long handle) and I put that over the pot since it was big enough to kind of hang onto the edges of the pot without falling in, covered it with a lid and steamed the corn at the same time. Neat trick. 🌽





I cooked the rice for about 40 minutes or so.

I also chopped 2 medium/large-ish sweet potatoes. One I diced. One I split into 4.
I seasoned with:

  • 1 tsp Turmeric
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • 1 tsp onion powder
  • salt & pepper
  • 1 tsp smoked paprika
  • drizzle of oil over the entire pan
I baked that on parchment paper in the oven at 350℉ for about 30 minutes or so. 
Or until tender. 🍠




I chopped up a mango and added it to store bought salsa verde to top my veggie burger with.




Comments

Popular Posts