Why Veggie?

Why Veggie?
🍇 I grew up omnivore (om·ni·vore an animal or person that eats food of both plant and animal origin). You might also see me refer to it as omni for short.

I'm a mother to a beautiful & picky 3 year old daughter. In the last few months I was on Pinterest and YouTube searching for more creative ways to incoporate more veggies into her diet. 
In my opinion - no one is more creative than a Vegan.

My goal with this blog and in my life is to become more plant based.
I've been growing more and more tired of meat and dairy. 
In the lite research I have done it is said that dairy-free, soy-free, red meat-free (bad fat), low carb, high fat (good fat), moderate protein and caffeine-free is somewhat "ideal" for PCOS.

I'm not too fearful of soy. So many rumors going around about it. 
The video from the Unnatural Vegan reassured me on that topic in this video.

I am not consuming caffeine too many times daily, so I feel I'm safe there.

I'm not grossed out by meat, but I am turned off a bit. I just don't have a taste for it much anymore.
Tuna fish makes me gag. 

The thing I think has me worried when it comes to a typical plant based diet is that they are mainly High Carb Low Fat. 
High Carb being the most worrisome.
Mainly because the most 'ideal' diet for PCOS is Low Carb High Fat. Preferably Keto.
Why Keto?
Many with PCOS often suffer from isulin resistance (IR).

From the Files of an old group I created:
Insulin Resistance.

"HYPERINSULIMIA: high levels of insulin"

Insulin controls how your body responds to food - especially sugars, carbs and starches.

After a High Carb meal your pancreas releases insulin to remove sugar from the blood to use or store.
Women with PCOS are often resistant to this and our bodies store all sugars/carbs/starches as fat. Stubborn fat in the midsection and thighs especially.

Insulin promotes fat storage, so that means many of us Cysters will have some trouble losing weight. 

Going Low Carb, roughly 20 grams of carbs per day can significantly decrease insulin, testosterone and body fat.

Why High Fat and moderate protein?

"Fats have little to no effect on blood sugar and insulin levels. Protein does affect both blood sugar and insulin, if large quantities are consumed. If you eat too much protein for your muscle mass (usually more than 1.5-2.0 grams/kg lean body mass), it can drive up your blood insulin levels temporarily and contribute to gluconeogenesis, which may raise blood sugar. High sugar and insulin levels can put the brakes on the body's ability to release and burn the fatty acids which provide the substrate for ketosis. This affects some people more than others, however. It most likely depends on how insulin resistant you are and how much you exercise." - from source http://www.ketogenic-diet-resource.com/ketogenic-diet-plan.html

My Plan
💞 I feel that cutting out meat and dairy is a good place to start.
But I also need to make a list of foods that are low glycemic. 
↓ ↓ ↓
[low-glycemic diet is one that selects foods on the basis of minimal alteration of circulating glucose levels. Glycemic index (GI) and glycemic load (GL) are measures of the effect on blood glucose level after a food containing carbohydrates is consumed.]

Then I can figure out if I need to cut out gluten at that point and/or cut out more carbs.

Comments

Popular Posts